13 - Gas tank, fenders, paint and reassembly

Gas tank
I was nearing completion and was feeling excited about firing this thing up, so I hooked up some gas lines and poured gas in the tank... and quickly realized my cheap Chinese gas tank had some issues. The gas was coming out through several cracks by the petcock valve. Crap. Back online to try and find a better tank that still magically fit the space I had. I found one and ordered it up. Due to where the outlet was, I had to elevate the bottom, which looks kind of silly, but it works. This one is metal which will hopefully be a bit more durable as well.


Fenders
I looked for quite sometime for fenders that would work with these wheels that weren't crazy expensive. In the end I couldn't find anything that would work so I ended up bashing out my own from some sheet steel. I am still hoping to reuse some or all of the front fenders from the 3 wheeler, but I needed something for the rear to keep the wheel from flinging dirt and snow onto the rest of the mini bike. The guys on TV make forming a fender look pretty straightforward but without proper tools and experience, it proved a real challenge. I don't have any pictures of the fender by itself, but you can kind of see it in the completed project pictures. It was ugly, but it will work.

Paint and reassembly
After getting all of the grinding and welding completed, it was time to tear it all the way down and put a coat of paint on the new stuff to keep it from turning to rust immediately.

After letting it dry for a bit, I was ready to put everything back together and see how it all looks.



I painted it's name on the back of the seat. CHUNKY.

Now I just need to get it all wired up, sort out some carb issues and take it out for a spin.


Comments