6 - Begin rear end build

Now that I have the next batch of parts I need and have purchased some square tubing, I am beginning to build up the rear end. I started out by adding some cross pieces to the existing frame that runs under the seat. The front one will become the main stress point and the back one will provide additional structure support for the rear axle. I also added an angled brace from the frame to the front cross piece.


 Both cross pieces were notched and sit under the front to back rails.
 

I will come back later and finish all of the welds. Fore now I am just getting things in place.
I decided to shorten the back cross piece and use a larger angle piece on the back support. This helps round out the shape and reduce the boxy look a bit. 


 It was a real bugger to get the angles and cuts right without some of the proper tools. I don't have a band saw to ensure square cuts. Instead I resort to marking the cuts on the tubing and then put it in the vise. I then cut along the top of the vice to ensure the cut is fairly square. Someone who fabricates for a living would cringe at the crudeness of this build, but this is garage engineering and fabrication where precision is sometimes hard to achieve with limited tools.

I am finding that ensuring the pieces are square with regards to the rest of the frame is also hard to do. Since my pieces aren't perfect, I have to compensate with placement to ensure things are as square as possible. I am using a few key points on the main frame piece to measure and compare right and left to maintain square. Add an assembly jig to the list of things that would make this project so much easier.

Comments