9 - Exhaust

Project progress began to slow this spring and summer with other things going on. I would get a couple of hours on part of the project and then be at a stopping point for the week.
One of the areas of progress has been the exhaust.

Exhaust
Since I had to remove the exhaust from midway back I knew I would have to fabricate or buy a new muffler. I have always wanted to build my own muffler for a small 4 stroke so it was an easy decision to at least try to build my own.
When I was a kid I had a Honda 80 motorcycle that had a big muffler along the back side of the seat. I think I still have burn scars from all the times I would half fall off of that thing and end up right on that muffler leaving a giant burn on the inside of my leg.
That memory along with the lack of space along side the seat I decided to place the exhaust under and behind the seat running transversely. I am a little concerned with the proximity to the seat but hopefully with a combination of some insulation and air gap it won't be so hot as to effect the seat.


I bought a scrap piece of 3" exhaust tubing from a local muffler shop for the muffler and cut two holes in the side for the exhaust tubes. I purchased some pre-bent sections of tubing so I could extend the existing exhaust pipe to the new muffler.
I ended up fabricating my own bend and pipe to act as an inlet for the muffler. It looks crazy ugly, but hopefully it will work.


I decided for the design of the muffler to split it into two chambers and force the gases to go towards the center and then back out to the out pipes. I used a scrap piece of steel as the baffle and closed the holes on the sides.

Then I inserted it into the pipe and welded up the ends.



I decided to try to use a joint with two plates to join the original exhaust tubing to the new tubing and a sleeve joint for where the piping meets the muffler. I give each about a 50/50 chance for success.

Comments